400 grams (14 oz) tomato
800 g (28 oz) green pepper
2 large onions
50 grams (1.8 oz) smoked bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon hot red pepper (ground)
1. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, then peel and cut into wedges.
2. Wash the peppers, cut out the stem, and remove the veins and seeds. Cut into chunks about one inch thick.
3. Peel the onion and finely dice it.
4. Cut the bacon into small cubes or thin strips.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the bacon, and fry over moderate heat. Add the onion and saute until it softens. Remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle the red pepper over the cooked onions, and add the tomatoes. Season with salt to taste.
6. Return the pan to the heat and boil uncovered for a few minutes. Add the green pepper and cook over moderate heat with the pot half covered until the peppers are soft. Add a dash more salt and serve warm.