I was not 100% satisfied with the Erdäpfelsalat from the recipe that I previously posted. I used the same ingredients and amounts (excepting the beef broth) from the recipe that I posted, but played around with the method a bit. The potato salad that I made today was heavenly and I think I have finally got it down.
500 grams (18 oz) potatoes
750 milliliters-1 liter (25-34 oz) beef stock
1/2 white onion
fat, for frying
3 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
A few dashes freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely diced for garnish
chives for garnish
1. Boil the potatoes whole with skin on in enough beef broth to cover.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, finely dice the onion and fry it in melted lard until translucent. Set aside to cool.
3. When the potatoes are cooked through, drop them briefly into a bowl of cold water. (Keep the cooking broth.) Remove the skins and slice into 2″ pieces.
4. Combine the cooked onions, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the reserved beef broth (to taste), vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar.
5. Place the sliced potatoes into a bowl and pour the broth/vinegar mix over them. Toss to coat.
6. Drizzle the oil over the top and garnish with red onions and chives. Serve at room temperature.