For the filling:
Oil, for frying
2 shallots (or 1 onion), finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
400 grams (14 oz) ground meat
1-2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup crème fraîche (or 150 grams [5.3 oz) sour cream)*
For the topping:
200 grams (7.1 oz) sour cream
100 milliliters (ca. 1/2 Cup) heavy/whipping cream
2 egg yolks
Grated cheese (for sprinkling)*
1. Preheat oven to 180-200 ° C (350-390 F).
2. Make the filling: Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and garlic until translucent.
3. Add the ground meat and spread it out evenly throughout the pan. Fry until almost cooked through, stirring frequently.
4. Season with parsley, nutmeg, paprika, salt, and pepper and fry until the meat is completely cooked through.
5. Remove from heat, pour out pan juices, and stir in crème fraiche (or sour cream) until thoroughly combined. Season to taste again, if needed. Let cool.
6. Make the topping: Combine the sour cream, whipped cream, and egg yolks and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Lay one crepe out flat and spoon some of the meat filling over the left third of the crepe. Roll the crepe, starting with the end with the meat, and put it in a pre-greased baking dish seam-side down. Repeat with remaining crepes.
8. Add any leftover meat filling to the topping sauce and stir well. Pour over the pancakes, then sprinkle with grated cheese. Cook for 15 minutes.
1. I used sour cream in the filling vice crème fraîche, and Emmentaler cheese for sprinkling.
2. I made one pan of pancakes following this recipe exactly, and a second pan where I substituted würzige käsesauce for the sour cream topping. (See the recipe for the käsesauce here.) I liked the original version better because it was “eggier” and heartier, but my husband liked the cheese sauce version better. I’ll be making both versions again.