This recipe for Linzer Augen calls for red currant marmalade, which is what is normally used in Linzer Torte. All of the Linzer Augen cookies that I’ve seen here have had apricot jam in the middle, so that is how I made mine.
100 grams (3.5 oz) butter
100 grams (3.5 oz) honey
1 egg yolk
3-4 Tbsp whipping cream
a lemon peel, grated
260 grams (9.2 oz) flour
8 grams (.3 oz) baking powder
red currant marmalade
1. Knead all the ingredients (except the marmalade) into a dough. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator 2 hours.
2. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 2-3 mm (1/8″) on a floured surface. Use a round shape to cut circles out of the dough.
3. Place the circles on a cooking sheet lined with baking paper, and cut three small holes in half of the cookies (I used a straw to cut the holes in mine).
4. Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, at 200 C (392F) until they are golden yellow, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. Take a cookie without holes, flip upside down, and spread marmalade across the top. Place a cookie with holes on top and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Repeat with remaining cookies.